Before installing or using Grails, set JAVA_HOME environment variable:
1. Add the following to ~/.profile
Location will be where JDK is installed to.
2. Log out and back in again, run echo $JAVA_HOME and echo $PATH to confirm. Also check by typing java -version.
To install Grails:
1. Download grails from http://www.grails.org/Download
2. Extract the archive into a home directory. Typically /usr/local in Linux
3. Append a reference to grails as a variable, as with JAVA_HOME above
Location path will be the directory you saved the extracted files to.
4. Log out and back in again.
5. Type grails in a terminal window to test. You should see:
Welcome to Grails 1.3.5 - http://grails.org/
Licensed under Apache Standard License 2.0
Grails home is set to: /home/lee/grails-1.3.5
No script name specified. Use 'grails help' for more info or 'grails interactive' to enter interactive mode
You can now begin writing grails applications